DIRECTOR OF INSTRUCTION
As small children, we learn reflexive emotional reactions to life events. These reflexive emotional reactions replay themselves again and again throughout our lives, bringing us much needless suffering. That is, unless we have enough of the right kind of new experiences to break those old reflexive patterns, and develop new, more satisfying ways of being. My job is to use the individual and group therapy settings to help people experiment with behavior that runs counter to their old, maladaptive reflexes. When it works, people change emotionally, in their belly, not only intellectually. Providing more than temporary relief from symptoms, I attack the cause of the symptoms with an intense form of treatment combining individual and group psychotherapy. Going beyond analysis of the past, my team creatively structures emotionally corrective experiences to teach the belly, not just the brain, new ways to respond. Both patient and therapist must work hard, however. We spend 20% of our office hours in reviewing our cases and in professional development. It’s worth it!
Married over 30 years with two adult “kids,” I ski the Rockies, sail the Great Lakes, and like to study philosophy. Lately, I am again taking guitar lessons, after a 40 year hiatus.
Finding joy in doing these things well requires the discipline to study the “how to” and then practice and perfect the actual “doing” of them. As the skills have developed, so too has the freedom to express myself creatively. I see the practice of psychotherapy this way as well.
All any of us “have” is time. As Oriential philosophy puts it, life can be seen in terms of an “uncarved block.” Each day is a block of stone for me to sculpt in whatever way I choose to sculpt it that day. Day by day, I get better and better at it. This is what I want for my patients.
- Michigan State University | Bachelor of Arts – Education
- Wayne State University | Master of Arts – Humanities
- University of Michigan | Master of Social Work
- Bar-Levav Educational Association | Fellow, Intensive Individual and Group Psychotherapy
Certifications and Affiliations
- Academy of Certified Social Workers
- Licensed Master Social Worker, State of Michigan
- Clinical Member | American Group Psychotherapy Association
- Michigan Group Psychotherapy Society
- National Association of Social Workers
- National Registry of Group Psychotherapists
- Clinical Member | American Academy of Psychotherapists